Training Workshops Unlimited
Over 500 adults with intellectual disability receive trainingat four workshops throughout the Greater Cape Town area. We call our Training Workshops 'unlimited' because trainees progress along a structured career path – from basic care and stimulation through to jobs in our own manufacturing workshops and, ultimately, the open labour market – according to their ability.
Some may never progress past the first level. Others have the potential to complete the programme and become economically independent.
The TWU Training and Career Path:
- Eagles programme: Care and stimulation for persons needing high levels of care.
- Whales Programme: Part time respite care and stimulation for persons not yet ready to attend a full day programme at the workshops.
- Life skills Programme: Structured Day Programme including training in self-care, basic work skills, leisure time, music and sport to medium functioning trainees.
- Work Skills Programme: Pre vocational training, work skills, life skills, community survival and production training to higher functioning trainees.
- Skills Development and Learnerships: Career skills and bridging training to those trainees ready to pursue a career in the open labour market. This programme includes classroom training and practical placements to gain experience and references. The learners have Job Coaches supporting them throughout this programme.
- Siyakwazi Integration Company project: Simulated open labour market employment with equal income opportunities to trainees who successfully completed the previous step but have not yet secured employment. Continued Job Coaching and support as needed.
- Supported Employment programme: Continued Job Coaching and follow-up for persons who secured employment and support for their employers to retain employment.