Counselling and support
Integrated Social work services are offered throughout the Cape Town area. These services include awareness raising and prevention, early intervention, statutory services (as determined by the Mental Health Care act of 2002) and reintegration services to individuals, groups and at community level.
Individual counselling services:
- Improve knowledge and understanding and assist with access to services, resources and opportunities
- Equip families with the skills necessary to cope with a family member who has a mental disability
- Develop skills to cope with the stresses of daily life
- Improve insight and promote responsible self-reliant behaviour
- Help families cope with challenging behaviour more effectively
- Disability Grant Administration for people with mental disabilities
Group work services:
- Life skills training with people with mental disabilities to enable them to accept themselves, relate to others positively and solve problems independently
- Carers support groups to equip parents and carers with knowledge and skills to respond appropriately to the challenges of their children and people with mental disabilities
- Short-term groups focusing either on sexuality and lifeskills, substance abuse and other social skills needed
Community Work services:
- Wellness Events to enhance mental health of the community, clients & caregivers
- Information tables, exhibitions and mental health presentations to educate the public about mental health and the services of Cape Mental Health
- Rural Outreach – Capacity building of relevant role-players in the mental health field with respect to mental health issues in rural communities
- Capacity building of SAPS officials with respect to mental health issues
- Schools Programme to empower educators and learners to identify and deal with mental health problems and access services where necessary
Most of these services are offered free or at a nominal cost, and we depend on concerned individuals and businesses for the funds we need to continue.
Please support us by clicking the button alongside.