Sexual Abuse Victim Empowerment [SAVE]
Sadly, people with intellectual disabilities are easy prey for sexual predators, and cases of sexual abuse are common. Our SAVE programme offers victims and their families psychological counselling and the same access to justice as the general population.
The programme provides:
- psychological assessments of victims’ level of functioning, competence to act as witnesses and ability to consent to sexual intercourse;
- court preparation, support, counselling and sex education and sexuality awareness for complainants and their families;
- expert witness by clinical psychologists in court as required;
- liaison with all relevant agencies, in particular the SAPS and the Justice Department;
- awareness amongst public prosecutors and police when dealing with complainants with intellectual disability, by training them in appropriate interviewing skills;
- training and ongoing technical support to mental health societies, clinical psychologists and related professionals across South Africa, in order to extend this programme nationally to complainants with intellectual disability.