Special Education & Care Centres
Cape Mental Health has three Special Education and Care Centres which cater for 180 individuals with severe and profound intellectual disabilities.
The centres provide a safe environment, quality day care, and a structured programme that encourages individuals to develop to their full potential. In addition, we offer:
- ongoing assessment to ensure that the appropriate stimulation programmes are implemented;
- individual stimulation and group training programmes;
- a nutritious meal or snack;
- awareness campaigns to promote the rights of individuals with severe and profound intellectual disabilities;
- training for parents and caregivers, to enable them to continue the programme activities and goals at home;
- education and training for staff;
- Alternative Augmentative Communication (AAC) programmes to facilitate communication;
- transport to and from the centres;
- a safe environment where individuals are treated with dignity.